FortifyFL App is Live!
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act
In the wake of the tragic shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that took the lives of 17 Florida students and educators, the Florida Legislature passed and Governor Rick Scott signed SB 7026, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act. This legislation outlines significant reforms to make Florida schools safer while keeping firearms out of the hands of mentally ill and dangerous individuals.
Provisions of the law include:
- Creation of the Office of Safe Schools and a description of the office’s responsibilities
- Allowing sheriffs to establish a Coach Aaron Feis Guardian Program
- The FortifyFL mobile suspicious activity reporting tool
- Establishment of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission
- New requirements for mental health services and training
- Requirements for a safe-school officer at each public school
- School safety assessments for each public school
- Appropriations of funding to address identified school safety needs
- Public Safety Chapter 2018-3, Laws of Florida
- DOE Bill Summary of SB 7026 (PDF)
The FortifyFL App was developed in coordination with the following Educational and Law Enforcement Agencies